Thursday, March 25, 2010

Keeping the 3 yr old busy while taking care of the baby

Today is a day of learning at my home.  My nine month old seems to need a lot of attention today for some reason, I think he's teething.  My three year old is becoming a little more independant as the days go by, which is very good for me.  At the same time I do not want him to be glued to the television all day long.  I came up with an activity for him to do.  While watching four squares last week they had this catchy poem that my son memorized, but we changed it up a bit.  It goes like this:  Sunday is fun day, monday we go shopping, Tuesday do the chores, Wednesday have a bubble bath and Thursday go outdoors, Friday night is movie and Saturday sleep in.  I brought out his 12 month calendar and went through the days of the week with him.  He's still trying to catch on to it all.  I asked him to draw each activity from the poem on each day of the week.  It took him quite a bit of time to do, but finally he did it.  Kids are smarter than you think they are.  Even though this was only the first time i taught him his days of the week, he memorized them very fast.  Try this activity with your little ones and share some more with me please.  I love doing new educational things with my kids.  thank you for your time.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Carla... why wait, when Katie was about 6 months old I'd sing her the ABC song and count to 100. When she was 18 months old, she knew her ABC's and could count to 20. You're right, children are sponges and can learn a lot more than we give them credit for. Hugs, Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took your advice and it worked. My son is 2 now and he picks up things so fast. I went over the weekdays with him today after reading your blog and we both had so much fun and it was so nice watching him learn and really enjoy learning. Hopefully with your help and other peoples comments on this blog my son can grow up actually enjoying learning new things for the rest of his life! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Kari!! hugs to you too

    Well, im glad that you took some of my advice and did that activity with your son. be sure to check back here every day with some more fun and educational activities. take care

    ReplyDelete