Wednesday, April 7, 2010

cooking and arts and crafts

My goodness, it's been a while since I have written a post.  It's been a bit hectic with Easter long weekend and my sisters baby shower coming up this Sunday.  Hope everyone had an amazing Easter with their children just as I did.  It was full of fun, enjoyment, chocolate and good food.  On another note, we are throwing my youngest sister a baby shower on Sunday.  She is due at the end of May and we already know that she will be having a baby girl.. We cannot wait to meet her Nadia.  The past few days have been ugly outside, so I have been trying new recipes for myself and the kids.  Last week I made chicken soup for my boys for the first time.  I put 3 chicken legs inside with some onions, oats, carrots, potatoes, celery, garlic and of course some spices for better taste.  I was the first one to taste it of course because no one else would.  I was amazed at how good it actually was.  My 3 year old loved the broth, but did not eat any of the chicken because he did not like the color of it.  I was shocked how much my 10 month old loved it.  He ate half of a bowl.  I made another pot of it yesterday and froze some so we can have it for the rest of the week.  This morning my boy wanted pancakes, so I thought I would spice it up a little and try something new.  I had frozen blueberries in my freezer so i thawed them a bit and threw them in with the batter and mixed it up.  After they were cooked in the frying pan i put a scoop of thawed blueberries on top and poured syrup over them... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....They tasted soooo great.  My boy just loved pancakes with blueberries.  I will definitely be making these at least once a week.  Enough about food now.  These past few days my 3 year old has been so into arts and crafts.  I bought him some rolling stamps and regular kiddie stamps, a new pair of children scissors, glitter pens and he got a new finger painting set for Easter that he just loves.  He is starting to cut shapes out of paper and making cards for people.  He can keep busy for two hours at a time.  I figured that this would be another great thing away from the television.  We do this in a room where this is no tv, so he wont be distracted.  I find it working wonders for him and me cause I can do some cleaning while he's busy, and i put the little man in his high chair so he can watch me.

3 comments:

  1. Yes my little ones love anything that is home made. With my one year old I had so many problems trying to feed him that yucky baby food that not even I would eat (Dont know why people feed this to their kids). So I started pureeing fruits and cooked veggies and she just loves it. Its so healthy and better for them too. You know exactly what is going into your little ones and dont have to worry about all that processed crap they put in everything these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I've been reading your posts...your world is so different from mine. You've got two boys, and I've got two girls. My world is full of butterflies, barbies, dress up, princesses, etc... It's funny reading your posts because it's just soooo completely different. haha!

    ReplyDelete